Wednesday, December 14

And the "Winner" is...

Tysabri!  I'm sticking with Tysabri. 

Yeah there's a possibility of PML, but at least i know that that exists and there is a plan in place to mitigate.  My feeling is that Gilenya is just too new and i'm willing to bet my last dollar that something is going to emerge that they didn't anticipate a few months/years down the road.  I may lose that bet and with any luck i will, but u know how drugs go!  There already have been some things happening too... a few people have died including 1 person who died 24 hrs after taking their first dose - HELLO!  there is still investigation pending into whether the drug had anything to do with it but...

I'm not stupid, i know that there are risks with all drugs and death probably is the extreme case but i'd rather deal with the known risks of Tysabri than the unknown (for now at least) risks of Gilenya.  We (my neuro and I) talked about the 2 therapies and he was also somewhat against my starting Gilenya.  *side bar* Sometimes the way he talks about Tysabri tho, i wonder if he's on the baord of directors or was instrumental in creating the drug.

Anyhoo...so i will continue to endure the games with my veins (got stuck twice yesterday), the MRIs every 3 months (did i ever mention that as far as I can tell, i have NO side effects from the Tysabri?) and the knowledge that i'm at a higher risk for development of a brain infection to stick with "the devil i know".


2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you came to a decision that you can live with. All drugs have side effects, but if Ty hasn't given you any problems, then I would say it's a good choice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup...no problems at all. I just don't think that it's a great, wonder drug like others think!

    ReplyDelete